Baby Oil Guitar Fretboard

Baby Oil Guitar Fretboard

One of my guitar fret boards looks pretty dry. what is the answer for this. is there a conditioner out there that is specific to fret boards.

I rarely condition, but will use a product called Fret Doctor to cosmetically darken rosewood bridges and boards - I like darker, and the wood grain is beautifully revealed: nice, very nice.

Fret

Years ago Frank Ford taught me about plain old Mineral Oil as a kind of fretboard cleaner, and it's still a good solution: cheaper than most other snake oils too.

Music Nomad Fretboard F One Oil

If you do choose to oil the fingerboard, do it with care. Use a tiny amount of lemon oil or mineral oil on the rag, wipe it on the fingerboard, and then wipe it all off. You don't want to saturate the fingerboard, and you don't want a lot of oil running down into the fret slots. If there are cracks in your fingerboard, consider having them filled professionally, and don't get oil in the cracks. Generally, you'll want to stay away from linseed and other natural vegetable oils, which become sticky and gummy over time.

This kind of fingerboard cleaning should be a once-a-year event, at the most. Too much scrubbing and oiling can easily do more damage than good.

Get yourself a small bottle of baby oil. Use it very sparingly.......like others have said......maybe once a year at the most. A small bottle of it should last you a lifetime.

Question] Fretboard Oils? What Kind Of Oils Is Ok?

I use pure lemon oil about twice a year on guitars that are heavily played and about once every two years on guitars that are not. Seem to work just fine and leaves them with a nice citrus scent.

I've used a tiny smidge of lemon oil about once a year or less for many years on many instruments. A teaspoon of oil in a paper towel is more than enough, and as mentioned, wipe off the excess right away.

I like the feeling this leaves the rosewood with for a long time, and I think it helps the fretboard because it's essentially open to breath on one side and not on the other, and that's a little hard on wood, in the long run.

How To Clean A Maple Fretboard

I've been playing since '82 and have never conditioned(oiled) a fretboard. Not to say it shouldn't be done in some cases. I've just never seen the need for it on my guitars.

Geez, Woodstock - how are you ever going to get that nice citrus smell all over your guitar if you don't use lemon oil on the fretboard?

A mineral oil is any of various colorless, odorless, light mixtures of alkanes in the C15 to C40 range from a non-vegetable (mineral) source, particularly a distillate of petroleum.

Amazon.com: Gerlitz Guitar Honey Fretboard Oil

The name mineral oil by itself is imprecise, having been used to label many specific oils over the past few centuries. Other names, similarly imprecise, include white oil, liquid paraffin, and liquid petroleum. Baby oil refers to a perfumed mineral oil.

Most often, mineral oil is a liquid by-product of the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline and other petroleum-based products from crude oil. A mineral oil in this sense is a transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes [2] and cyclic paraffins, related to petroleum jelly (also known as white petrolatum). It has a density of around 0.8 g/cm3.[3] Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities. Mineral oil is available in light and heavy grades, and can often be found in drug stores.

How

If you notice that your fretboard has dried out or developed hairline cracks, you may finish this process with Gibson’s Luthier’s Choice Fretboard Conditioner. Alternately, you can rub one or two drops of oil (mineral, almond or linseed oil) into the fretboard to condition it. Make sure to wipe off excess oil with a soft, dry rag

Can I Use Baby Oil On Guitar Strings?

No, but some of us like to keep them looking nice. As has already been said, it is a very occasional thing and even then just a little bit of oil. I always clean with 0000 steel wool first.

That's fine, all I was saying is they don't need it. It might clean it up but it will also cause frets and any binding to loosen. Maybe not a lot but over time it will.

My only problem with mineral oil is that it doesn't maintain the look for as long. You can use butcher block oil but my fave is Lizard Spit for guitars as it goes on easy, lasts, and smells pleasant. Gorgeous on ebony. The Gibson oil is ok, but nothing special.

Is Baby Oil Good For Guitar Fretboard

Regarding binding and loosening things up, I've used board oils for about 15 years on many guitars and haven't had any signs of trouble at all.I've never oiled the fingerboards on the guitars I made. Tempted to try, some of them look 'light' and I'm hoping that a touch of oiling would bring up the grain and do something, for want of a better phrase, to bring some 'depth' to the fingerboards.

So...common suggestion is to use 'lemon oil', which is about the cheapest thing at the grocery store sold as a wood polish.

-

I found lurking in a closet. two bottles we bought years ago, one labeled 'teak oil', quite fluid, and another labeled 'scandinavian oil', of motor-oil consistency.

Shop Guitar Fretboard Lemon Oils

Three questions, (1) is what I mentioned typical of what oiling fingerboards is meant to accomplish and (2) are these furniture-care oils appropriate for fingerboard application and (3) what's so special about lemon oil?

I've found Dr ducks axe wax to be good for fingerboard seems to bring out the grain nicely, also helps the fingerboard feel slick

Lemon oil is basically mineral oil with a lemon scent. The teak oil may be tung oil, so I would definitely not use that on your fretboard. I use F-One. It's petroleum and wax free, and it cleans and conditions. Just put a dab on a towel, rub it in, and repeat up the fretboard. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe off the excess. You can get 2 oz. for $8.49 from Sweetwater. It will last a long time and it works great.

Snake Oil: What To Use On Your Fretboard — Haze Guitars

First, take a look at those labels on the teak oil and Scandinavian oil. If they say finish they are likely an oil/varnish blend, which you probably don't want on your fretboard. Also, most lemon oil is lemon-scented oil, and is probably safe, but if it's real lemon oil it likely contains citric acid, which you don't want anywhere near your frets.

There is a common misconception that oil somehow feeds the wood. It doesn't. It can provide some degree of protection, but only temporarily. The sources I have read say the protection only lasts about 2-3 weeks at best. IMO, it's biggest benefit is cosmetic--it can improve the appearance of the fretboard for a period of time.

Snake

I think the safest oils to use, if you really want to oil your fretboard, are mineral or one of the proprietary fretboard treatment products.

If A Finished Maple Fretboard Doesn't Need Oil, How Do You Clean It?

In the fifty plus years I’ve played, I’ve never found a need to oil my guitars in any fashion. Neither do I apply any sort of finish or polish to the body. Call me a curmudgeon.

I've used Petros Fingerboard oil for over 20 years and have been very pleased with it. I only apply it every two years or so, and sparingly. It leaves a rich-looking sheen to Ebony 'boards.

About once a year I usually clean my fretboards with some baby oil (mineral oil) and OOOO grade steel wool. Those oval finger smudges clean off very nicely and the oil penetrates enough to take away the dry look to make the fretboard look like new.

Giving My Fretboard A Clean When Changing Strings Using A Damp Cloth, And When The Fretboard Gets Wet It Really Brings Out How Pretty The Woodgrain Is, But When It Dries You Cant See It As Well, Is There A Finish I Could Apply To Make This Effect More Permanent

If you try the steel wool, always go in the direction of the grain and not across it, then be sure to wipe off the oil several times with a cloth or paper towel.

In my experience (about fifty years) I've found that if yuor fretboard looks dry then almost any oil that doesn't leave a greasy residue will work.

How

Foe decades now I have cleaned and polished my guitars with a polish desgned for valuable antique furniture. It is called Regency Gold and it is a sort of oil/water emulsion, and is best used on a rag/duster which has been soaked and wrung out to just damp.

Can I Use Baby Oil On My Guitar?

Warning : Any fluid puton a fretboard may seep under the fets causing the fretboard wood to exand and push the frets up, so anything applied to the fretboard should be minimal and wiped off asap.

0 Response to "Baby Oil Guitar Fretboard"

Posting Komentar